Friday, November 15, 2019

Done

One by one, the constants in my life oozed away.

First, I lost interest in reading, then I stopped writing. Music became a cacophony, no matter what I listened to, nails on the blackboard. Television was only background noise to help me sleep.
The dogs were un-walked, the horses stood idle and began to look old.


I stopped, frozen in place, and watched my family fall apart, friends fade away, and business associates look the other way as we passed each on the street. I did however, manage to hold my husband's hand, and speak with him into the night, every night, until he finally died. I think we were both relieved when the end came. We travelled one bitch of a road together for eight long years before he finally let go. 


I admit, I was a little envious. He was at peace, or becoming compost, I don't know which, but either appealed to me more than what I faced. Although, if we went at the same time, we'd be grousing and fussing all the way into eternity and we deserved some space. There was finally time for me to take a breath. So I stayed.

4 comments:

  1. I am very sorry for the long, hard road you and your husband had to travel. I am glad you stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed you Mugs and didn't know how to reach out. Your writing christens my days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your losses. My condolences. Always glad to get a notification that you are writing no matter the subject, your words are always captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has been one of my favorites over the years and I’m glad you chose to stay. Thank you for sharing and I’m so sorry for the hard road you’ve had to travel.

    ReplyDelete